Other Services

CP12 (Gas Safety Certificates)

By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it’s your responsibility as a landlord to get a gas safety certificate (CP12) every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.
If your property is managed by an agent , you need to make sure your contract clearly states in black and white whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances.

You must also keep copies of all the paperwork.

You’ll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection.

If your tenants change, they’ll need a copy of the Gas safety certificate (CP12) before they move in.

If your contract says the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them.

Top tips

  • Legally you only have to carry out a gas safety inspection every twelve months, but it’s a good idea to get appliances checked between tenants too. Then you’ll be sure your appliances are in tip-top condition before your new tenants move in.

What you’ll get with a gas safety certificate (CP12):

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturer’s data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance cannot be issued a gas safety certificate (CP12).

EPC (Energy Performance Certificates)

An EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent. If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an EPC, Team 42 are accredited domestic energy assessors and will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate.

All Team 42 assessors are registered with STROMA certification body

EPCs last for 10 years and the fee charged by Team 42 will be at the market rate. The size and location of your property will be determining factors, although discounts and fixed rates are available for multiple properties

When you’ll be given an EPC

By law you should receive an EPC in the following cases:

  • When you are considering buying a home, you should be provided with an EPC, free of charge. This applies to new homes and existing stock.
  • If you are considering renting a property, you should get an EPC from the landlord, free of charge. That said, you don’t need an EPC when you are thinking of just renting a room with shared facilities rather than renting the whole property.

In all cases the intention is to allow you to compare the energy efficiency and costs associated with the property.

Voluntary EPCs

You can apply for and receive an EPC from Team 42 simply because you want to know how energy efficient your home is, and make improvements suggested by the report.

You can look at the EPCs of other properties on the EPC register website. This enables you to compare your home’s energy performance with that of similar homes, free of charge. If you don’t want other people to be able to see your EPC on the EPC register, you can opt out.